Database Operations Engineer
Who We Are:
Bandwidth lives for innovation! Our technology powers brands like Google, Microsoft, GoDaddy, Arlo, Netgear, Zoom, Rover and more of the most exciting leaders in technology. Our intelligent voice, messaging, 9-1-1 access, and phone number services— all backed by Bandwidth’s own nationwide, all-IP voice network—allow us to power the way people communicate, connect, and do business.
At Bandwidth, your music matters when you are part of the BAND. We celebrate differences and encourage BANDmates to be their authentic selves. #jointheband
What We Are Looking For:
We are looking for a Database Operations Engineer who has a passion for database technologies and automation to join our Data Infrastructure team. As a member of this team, you will play a key role in managing and maintaining our hybrid database infrastructure and help take our applications to the next level.
Are you excited about the position and its responsibilities, but not sure if you’re 100% qualified? Do you feel you can work to help us crush the mission? If you answered ‘yes’ to both of these questions, we encourage you to apply! You won’t want to miss the opportunity to be a part of the BAND.
What You’ll Do:
- Be a part of a fast moving team, working with the latest database tools and technologies in a hybrid infrastructure environment.
- Support backend operational database systems (SQL and NoSQL) to meet application uptime and performance.
- Support Big DATA platforms like SnowFlake.
- Develop tools to automate and improve database infrastructure management.
- Support database initiatives related to architecture, security, capacity, scalability, performance, platform upgrades, SLAs, and disaster recovery.
- Promote the agile development approach that incorporates regular retrospectives and process improvement to ensure that we are always building software in the most efficient, effective way possible.
What You Need:
- Minimum 3 years of hands-on DBA experience in managing operational and analytical relational databases in on-prem and cloud environments and experience with enterprise level database design, administration, and maintenance of MariaDB/MySQL.
- Experience in automation tools like Terraform, Ansible, Packer, etc
- in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent relevant experience.
- Strong CS fundamentals and problem-solving skills
- Strong DBMS fundamentals and concepts
- Familiarity with other relational engines like PostgreSQL, Oracle
- Familiarity with NoSQL
- Strong expertise in writing and optimizing SQL code
- Must be a team player with positive attitude and ability to collaborate effectively
- Experience in the Telecom sector
- Experience with interpreted programming languages and/or shell scripting (Python, Perl, Bash)
- Experience in automation tools like Ansible
- Experience working with Cloud Database offerings like AWS RDS
- Familiarity working with ETL tools
- Experience in working with BI/Reporting tools
The Whole Person Promise:
We make a “Whole Person” promise to our team. You can have both meaningful work PLUS a full life at Bandwidth. We focus on accomplishing our mission as “whole people.” That means we take care of our people—in body, mind, and spirit.
- Health: We pay 100% for benefits coverage including Medical, Dental, Vision, Prescription, Life, and Disability. Generous paid time off (PTO) policy including paid parental leave, EAP and 401K match.
- Fitness: 90-minute fitness lunch with a paid gym membership for workouts. On-site cardio gym, locker room/showers, classes, and sponsored sports and leagues. Nutritionist and personal trainer on-site.
- Volunteer: We have a program dedicated to providing volunteer opportunities to employees, BandwidthCares.