Sr. Software Developer (R&D)
Who We Are:
Bandwidth (NASDAQ: BAND) is a global communications software company that helps enterprises connect people around the world with cloud-ready voice, messaging and emergency services. Backed by a network reaching 60+ countries covering 90 percent of global GDP, companies like Cisco, Google, Microsoft, RingCentral, Uber and Zoom use Bandwidth’s APIs to easily embed communications into software and applications. Bandwidth has more than 20 years in the technology space and was the first Communications Platform-as-a-Service (CPaaS) provider to offer a robust selection of APIs built around our own global network. Our award-winning support teams help businesses around the world solve complex communications challenges every day.
At Bandwidth, your music matters when you are part of the BAND. We celebrate differences and encourage BANDmates to be their authentic selves. #jointheband
What We Are Looking For:
Our R&D department drives the latest innovations for Bandwidth’s products through research, developing proofs of concept & prototypes and testing ideas outside the walls of Bandwidth. In short, we move quickly, break things, fail fast and deliver the future.
We’re looking for a Senior Software Developer (R&D) who will lead by example in designing and developing proof of concepts and initial solution design for R&D research projects who also enjoys a fast moving environment and is not afraid to try new things.
Are you excited about the position and its responsibilities, but not sure if you’re 100% qualified? Do you feel you can work to help us crush the mission? If you answered ‘yes’ to both of these questions, we encourage you to apply! You won’t want to miss the opportunity to be a part of the BAND.
What You’ll Do
- You will perform research and develop proof of concepts based on product hypotheses about where communication is going in the future.
- Demo your proof of concept to the product team and beyond.
- Write research documentation
- Blog about your research on our public facing blog.
What You Need:
If you’re our person, you probably look like this:
- You are a curious person who is always eager to learn
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- While years of experience is an imperfect measure, you’ve been a software engineer for 6+ years
- You thrive in a collaborative environment but can also work independently when digging into a concept .
- You’re passionate about the craft of software engineering and possess high standards for code quality
- You have experience with AWS or another cloud platform, and you “get” how scalable cloud applications are engineered
- You understand the fundamental design principles for building a scalable application
- You have experience designing web services and service oriented architectures
- You know IP networking, web protocols, and REST
- You’re familiar with relational and non-relational database systems
- You’ve had some exposure to, and excitement about, containerization
- You have worked in an applied research environment in the past
- You have experience prototyping and understand what is important to get right for a demo
- Experience with machine learning, specifically deep learning
- Python and Typescript are two languages you enjoy working with
Little Extra For You
At Bandwidth, we’re pretty proud of our corporate culture, which is rooted in our “Whole Person Promise.” We promise all employees that they can have meaningful work AND a full life, and we provide a work environment geared toward enriching your body, mind, and spirit. How do we do that? Well…
- You’re guaranteed to be given “work that matters.” If you ain’t feelin’ that, let us know. We’ll fix it.
- With our Hacker Hours program, you get protected time to learn, experiment, and build with the technology you want to! You can even submit projects to our yearly Hack-of-the-Year competition complete with awards and prizes.
- Your health insurance premiums are 100% paid by Bandwidth. So are your dental insurance premiums. So are your life insurance premiums. It’s pretty nice.
- When you’re on vacation, nobody is allowed to contact you. No calls, texts, emails… Enjoy your time off.
- We provide you with a gym membership, a lunchtime shuttle to the gym, and give you 90 minutes for lunch if you work out.
- Not enough time to hit the gym? There’s a locker room and cardio equipment on the first floor.